Motor Vehicles

Download TC-96-182

Be sure to visit the for detailed information and forms.


The following documents are required to transfer a vehicle:

  • KY certificate of title (clear of all liens) – if there is a lien on the face of the title, it may have been released but not taken off the front. If there is an Anderson County lien still on the title, we may release it with the proper termination statement (TC 96-187) from the lender, at the time of transfer. We can not release another counties lien from that title.
  • Current proof of insurance from the buyer.
  • A VTR (TC-96-182) must be signed and notarized.

Out of State Purchases

  • A VTR (TC-96-182) must be signed and notarized by the seller.
  • The vehicle must be inspected by the Sheriffs Office.
  •  It is the sellers responsibility to notify the County Clerk's office when selling a vehicle out of state.

The title is mailed from the KY Transportation Cabinet and usually arrives within 3-4 weeks. If you need your title back within a week you must order a speed title for an additional $25.00 fee.


Titles issued prior to February 2000 only have the assignment portion on the back. They would require the accompanying VTR form #TC 96-182 along with the "old style" title.

The newer titles are longer that a standard sheet of paper and do not require any additional forms. If you are buying a vehicle from a state other that KY, you will need to obtain the VTR form #TC 96-182. That form needs to be signed and notarized by the seller so you will be allowed to pay on the estimated selling price. A bill of sale will not be accepted.

Junk Titles

There is a common misconception that when a vehicle is sold for scrap and crushed, that it has been junked. The title and the license plate are required to junk a vehicle from the state computer system. The title must be clear of all liens and all property taxes must be paid. If the title and/or plate have been lost, a duplicate title must be applied for. The fee for this is $10.00. A form must be signed if the plate is lost. When the title is received in the mail from the state, you may then bring it in to finalize the junking out of the vehicle. 


In order to record a lien on a vehicle, boat, mobile home or trailer a title lien statement must be filled. The document TC 96-187 is required, and:

  • Name of debtor and their address
  • Name of secured party (bank or person lending the money) and their mailing address.
  • Description of collateral (year, make, model and VIN number)
  • Title or copy of the “golden-rod” if a pending lien has been filed

Generally a lien should be filed in the county of the debtors residence.


The owner of a vehicle on January of each year is responsible for the property taxes of that vehicle. Even if the vehicle is sold on January 1st, the tax will still be the responsibility of the seller. 2015 Vehicle Tax Information can be obtained by visiting

Registration Renewal

Motor vehicle tax cards are sent out through the Department of Revenue in Frankfort

Your vehicle license plate/decal must be renewed yearly. Documents required for you renewals are:

  • Certificate of Registration
  • Proof of Insurance

* Please bring documentation. Our system doesn't tell us what vehicles you currently have licensed. It is the customers responsibility to know what vehicles they wish to renew or pay taxes on.

Additional Notes

  • Any and all delinquent vehicle tax must be paid in order to complete the renewal or transfer process.
  • The county clerk is the tax collector and does not have the authority to exonerate or change your tax assessments. Questions regarding taxes should be directed to you Property Valuation Administrator at (502) 839-4061.

Plate Renewal

The following criteria must be met:

  • Requires the current registration
  • Proof of insurance
  • Affidavit for replacement (TC 96-167)

Weighted Plate

Documents needed for renewal of weighted tags:

  • Proof of Insurance
  • Certificate of Registration
  • Payment of taxes due and the estimated weight of the truck combined with the weight of the trailer combined also with the average weight of the load being transported
  • Form #2290 may also be needed.

Farm Tags

Any person engaged in farming of crop production, livestock or dairy products is eligible for a farm tag. The gross vehicle weight cannot exceed 38,000 lbs., and cannot be for hire. The applicant (Registered Owner) must sign the registration certificate that he or she is engaged in farming. There has been a $10.00 fee for the Kentucky Department of Agriculture, which is intended to support 4-H, FFA, and Kentucky Proud. The customer may opt not to pay this fee. We can't refund the $10.00 fee once the work has been processed or once the check is written.