The following documents are required to transfer a vehicle:
- KY certificate of title (clear of all liens) – if there is a lien on the face of the title, it may have been released but not taken off the front. If there is an Anderson County lien still on the title, we may release it with the proper termination statement (TC 96-187) from the lender, at the time of transfer. We can not release another counties lien from that title.
- Current proof of insurance from the buyer.
- Out of State Purchases:
* A VTR(TC-96-182) must be signed and notarized by the seller.
* The vehicle must be inspected by the Sheriffs Office.
- A VTR (TC-96-182) must be signed and notarized.
The title is mailed from the KY Transportation Cabinet and usually arrives within 3-4 weeks. If you need your title back within a week you must order a speed title for an additional $ 25.00 fee.
Be sure to visit the Kentucky Department of Motor Vehicle Licensing for detailed information and forms.